Creative Industries | Entrepreneurship | Art & Business Organizations
Apply creativity, collaboration and entrepreneurship to address real-world problems in fast-changing industries, such as the ethics of disruptive technologies, web3, the development and application of artificial intelligence, and more.
Offered exclusively on York University’s Markham Campus starting September 2024, the Creative Technologies (BFA) program empowers students to develop multidisciplinary creative skills and technological expertise through hands-on learning with an emphasis on social applications and contexts.
As part of the program, you will engage in collaborative research projects and digital projects that address real-world problems and contribute to emerging industries.
Through innovative skills-based courses, you will gain practical experience such as technology for fabrication, media processes, digital content creation, virtual environments, and more.
Through the Creative Technologies (BFA) program, you will:
Create exceptional, socially engaged projects in the creative industries using advanced digital technologies
Analyze and critique contemporary digital projects within aesthetic, conceptual, and historical frameworks
Develop technological skills and creative methodologies to generate ideas, proposals, and solutions within collaborative, interdisciplinary, and professional settings
Gain professional experience by collaborating with industry partners, community organizations, and others in the City of Markham, the wider York Region, and within global networks
- Creative Methodologies I & II
- Fundamentals of Collaboration
- Understanding Coding
- Fabrication techniques such as 3D printing or laser cutting
- Audio and visual digital content creation
- Interactive media design (VR & AR)
- 3D graphics (modelling & rendering)
- Physical computing (microcontrollers & sensors)
Students in the Creative Technologies (BFA) program will enjoy York University’s Markham Campus, featuring:
- New, modern, and accessible facilities
- Ten floors of teaching and learning space
- A multi-faith space, and indigenous circle, and enhanced accessibility features
- Unique classrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology
- Media creation spaces, makerspaces, and a virtual reality and gaming lab
For Ontario High School students, the admission requirements the Creative Technologies (BFA) program are:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- 6 4U or M level courses including:
- ENG4U (prerequisite)
- 12U Arts course or similar arts training (recommended)
- No portfolio is required.
- Creative Technologist
- Digital Content Creator
- Interactive Exhibition Designer
- Programing Director
- Community Artist & Organizer